Yeah, yeah, I know - "25 Things" is old news on Facebook... More than 5 million people had done a "25 Things" post on FB by mid-2009, according to the very up-to-date information I was able to track down on the internets. But I'm a Facebook holdout (more on that some other time) - I don't have a personal account and I've never done it. Besides, it's a holiday weekend here in the states, which means that most everyone will be off
25 random things you never wanted or needed to know about Snarkier Than You!
1. I had a pony.
2. I learned how to drive in a stick-shift car and didn't break down and buy an automatic until a few years ago. My hilly, stop-and-go commute and the associated leg cramps finally made me cave.
3. I never acquired a taste for coffee - I'll drink it with chocolate and/or booze, but otherwise, I stick with tea.
4. I've never been friends with as many people as I know now.
5. On a related note, I'm terrible with remembering names. And faces. And dates. Meeting so many people these last few years has made this more of an issue. I'm worried about people feeling insulted in Forks when I don't remember them (but I will remember that we were there a year ago, so there's that).
6. I have a toothless, diabetic cat who I pretty much treat like a spoiled only child.
7. I've never owned property - I'm a renter. I'm mostly ok with this.
8. When I was a kid, I had horrible buck teeth. Other kids used to call me "Bucky." Also, I wish I'd worn my retainer regularly after I got my braces off. You were right, Dr. Schwartz.
Bucky. And that huge thing I am holding is a camera. I'm old.
9. The first big concert I ever went to was Prince and the Revolution during the "Purple Rain" tour in 1984. Mostly because my parents wouldn't let me go see The Kinks or Black Sabbath and Quiet Riot the year before (I can't blame them, but I was pretty pissed at the time).
I would die 4U! OK not really but you put on a hell of a show.
10. Several years ago, I developed an intolerance to wheat, eggs, and dairy. I can't eat any of those things without getting progressively more rashy. I had to do an allergy elimination diet to figure this out, btw - I spent several thousand dollars to have an allergist tell me I wasn't allergic to anything but tree pollen.
11. I once followed the Grateful Dead for a summer tour. We started by driving from NJ to Wisconsin, where our car was broadsided by a van. We relied on the kindness of others to get us to the rest of the shows, and it was an amazing time I'll never forget.
12. My husband and I like to go hunting for treasures at estate, yard, and rummage sales (we both did this with our moms as kids). In theory we buy things to resell on eBay, but we are better buyers than sellers and our basement is overflowing with bins of things we need to get rid of - someone alert "Hoarders"!
13. I lost a friend's entire (extensive) poetry collection in high school. He's probably over it, but I still think about it.
14. I've only been skiing once, at Heavenly Mountain in Lake Tahoe. I'm afraid it may have spoiled me for anyplace remotely near New Jersey.
Skiing across the CA/NV state line? Been there, done that, took a picture.
15. We catch & release almost anything we find flying/crawling/scurrying around our apartment because I can't stand to kill things, but I love a good steak.
16. I never considered myself the big poofy princess-wedding-dress type. Until I got married. Who knew?
POOF! Because as my mom said, "You only get to wear a train once."
17. My dad wanted to sent me to military school (he went to one - and hated it). I'm glad we couldn't afford it.
18. You wouldn't know it from my horrible punctuation and grammar when I blog, but I have a degree in English from Rutgers (also Papa Snarky's alma mater).
19. When I was 4 or 5, my mom got tired of combing the knots out of my hair and gave me a pixie cut. I still remember people referring to me as a little boy for the next year or so.
20. I was a really homely kid...
Also? My mom had really long fingers. What's up with that thumb???
21. ...but in my late teens I had a friend take some photos of me and I went to all the top modeling agencies in New York City because people told me I should be a model (verdict: I couldn't be a model - but at least I tried, a little bit).
My (big!) hair was actually blond--this shot used a red filter. It inspired me to go red later!
22. I've always been painfully shy and insecure. I've gotten better, but I still struggle to be comfortable around people I don't know well. People have told me they thought I was a snob until they got to know me because I'm quiet and stand-offish when I first meet people.
23. I saw "Saturday Night Fever" in the theater. Sister Snarky covered my eyes during the naked parts. I was nine.
24. I've always had a thing for vampires.
25. I have never been happier, or known more amazing people, or laughed more, than I have since JJ and I started this blog in 2009. Thanks again, Twilight. And all of you.
Want to share your random 25? Post it in the comments (for the love of all things holy, save the text before you try to post in case you lose it!) or post it on your blog and leave a link to it in the comments. Can't do 25? Yeah, I probably shouldn't have either, and I can see why so many people were whining that this meme was the scourge of Facebook for a while. Feel free to leave your 5, or 3, or 17 - we're easy.