Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book Recommendation - The Night Circus

Stop what you doing. Right the fuck now.

Well, after you read this post, anyway.

Lately, I've amped up my book-devouring level to Grand Wizard Reader 13 or something and have been tearing through so many books the plots are beginning to swim around in my head.

But this book, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern has absolutely captivated me with it's beautiful (and sometimes a little brutal) magic. I've read other books? What other books?


(Taken from the author's site)
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
Not only does Ms. Morgenstern weave a mystical, magical story full of villains, heroes and star-crossed lovers, she does it in such a way that you become part of the story. Celia Bowen--an illusionist caught in a challenge she never wanted--is not only intelligent and kind, she's strong and independent.

For a monochromatic setting such as The Night Circus, the writing is incredibly descriptive, painting the wonders of the circus in such a way that you can practically smell the popcorn and caramel.

Forget Barnum & Bailey's. The Night Circus would have been my circus of choice, chock full of secrets and mystery and magic. And love.

Though its colors may be black and white, there is much to be seen at The Night Circus.

Check out the trailer for the book:



Oh, and speaking of trailers, I just found out that The Night Circus is going to be made into a movie!! I almost crapped my pants in excitement (reviewers always say stuff like this, right?).

However, it's apparently going to be made by Summit. Any opinions on that?

Anyway, if there is one book you should read this year (besides Daughter of Smoke & Bone) it's this one!!

20 comments:

  1. Jennifer... Do you want me to get nothing done in my life? Oh if only someone would pay me to read great books and blog all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second time someone told me this book was amazing. I suppose that means I should get it, but I still haven't started on your last rec!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Summit is behind the film version then we ca expect a hot lead and bad wigs. Not sure how I feel about that trade-off...
    Downloading the book now, thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the book, & didn't really care for it. I can't understand all the hype about it, I guess a lot of people got something from it that I didn't. I don't want to say anything more about because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that book preferences are just as subjective as musical preferences. I love AA Bondy. Other people don't.

      I really didn't realize what hype this book had until after I downloaded it.

      Do you have any books you would suggest? I know a few other readers weren't enthralled with The Night Circus so please feel free to suggest something else. We're always looking for new stories! :)

      Delete
    2. Love Will Tear Us ApartMay 6, 2012 at 6:15 AM

      Oh my Sweet Lord-I love AA BONDY too!That song 'Skull and Bones' from the 'Believers' album makes me cry.
      Is it just me or does AA Bondy look a bit like the actor Jeff Goldblum?

      Delete
  5. My moms been pestering me to read this series by Diana Gabaldon called Outlander, and holy crap was she right! It has to be the BEST series I've ever read. And yes ladies, that includes Twilight. I'll spare you the long and drawn out synopsis but PLEASE find it on Amazon and buy it. You won't regret it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heartily concur!!!!!!!!! The Outlander series is AWESOME!

      Delete
    2. I am loving it as well! Just started The Fiery Cross but I have so many more to go. It's really a long series, and she's writing more. I've read some other stuff between books, but I love coming back to the characters and the world she's created.

      Delete
    3. I've been reading and rereading Outlander for (omg, is it really?)almost 20 years now, it's definitely my favourite series. Claire and Jamie are the best!

      Delete
  6. Gahhhhh. Do you know how tall my "to read" stack of books is growing? DoSaB is currently collecting dust, along with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Bloom, Kisses from Katie, and One Thousand Gifts, all of which came highly recommended. I need more reading time. However, it is National Screen Free Week, which hubs and I have modified to "no tv or computers in the evenings." I might just continue this and then, magically, the time I want to spend reading may appear. Off to Amazon I go...

    ReplyDelete
  7. WTF?! Not available to download for customers from Europe?! Fuck you Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the rec. Sounds like an intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid I can't really endorse "The Night Circus". Like the other other poster, I read it and just didn't get the hype. It will be interesting to see what they do in the movie-it can be very compelling visually, but wonder about character interaction.

    Also not a fan of the "Outlander" series- at least, not based on the one book I was able to slog through-"The Scottish Prisoner".

    Not to be a total neg-a-tron- "The Gargoyle" is great (and that's a book that Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart-if they ever do another movie together-should latch on to). Also, "A Discovery of Witches" is great as well, and the sequel is due out in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of "A Discovery of Witches" but not "The Gargoyle". I will most certainly check both out. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Just FYI, the Scottish Prisoner isn't actually a part of the main Outlander series, it's a Lord John Grey book, a companion series. Not anywhere near as good as the main series! Seriously. Not even close. It'd be sad to miss out on the magic of Claire and Jamie because of that misapprehension!

      Delete
  10. I liked "A Discovery of Witches" and I am awaiting the next book in July. I personally hate waiting for books to come out. I rather read them all on my time time then to wait for each release.
    Only recently, I have taken to reading fiction(well, since '08) I tend to lean towards biographies and history stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally started Daughter of Smoke & Bone. (No sex scenes yet.) Will there be hot monkey angel sex?

    Similar question for The Night Circus: Will there be hot clown sex?

    Dude. I have no sex life! Reading is as close as I get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er, well, the sex is somewhat absent (though there are a few mystical, steamy nights) but the stories themselves are amazing. It's worth it, I promise.

      Delete
  12. OMFHFG YES!!!!! I fucking loved this book. I read it a few months ago and just could not put it down. The imagery was so fucking cool, and I loved the dual stories going on. The way their lives weaved into each other was just so fucking great. It was amazing. I will totally read it again.

    I didn't know there was hype...Until today. Huh. Late to the party, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are our life now. Leave one!