Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Music Recommendation - Frank Turner

It’s been quite some time since I last updated my iPod, so the other day I asked ML if he wouldn’t mind adding some of his recently purchased albums to my library.

He added over 620 songs. That’s what I get for asking a musician to update my library.

Needless to say, I have a lot of music to slog through. Undoubtedly, some of those albums will be removed from my iPod while others will move to my “I must play this all the goddamn time because it’s awesome” list.



One of those albums is England Keep My Bones by Frank Turner.

Think of his music as folk music with a streak of punk rock. Folk-punk? Punk-folk? Either way,  it’s poetic and political and not-so subtle, with straight-forward chords and a nice mesh of musical genres.



I’m always a fan of music with a political slant but Turner brings the personal to the forefront as well and the album is just another beautiful and impressive collection of thoughts and feelings. There's such a... genuine feel to his songs that makes his music that much better. Sometimes heartfelt and poignant, sometimes defiant, Frank Turner creates a very even-keeled and engaging album.



As an aside, I have heard from good authority (namely, ML, who saw him not too long ago) that Frank Turner’s live shows are a must-see. He’s apparently a master of engaging his fans and making even a larger venue seem like a small, intimate setting. Even my small amount of research on the wonderful interwebs really stressed that Mr. Turner puts on one hell of a show.

To see if he's playing at a venue near you go here.

Please let us know what’s currently owning your iPod and your ears these days in the comments!

19 comments:

  1. AWOLNATION owns me... and my 10 year old turned me on to The Used. Somehow I think that should scare me, but I'm oddly proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check these out!

      If it makes you feel better, my mother and I have alarmingly similar tastes in music these days. But I'll never let go of my hardcore days... ;)

      Delete
  2. Of Monsters and Men is got my foot a tappin' these days.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb6eDopW8I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw them at sxsw and they ROCKED. Literally just ordered one of their CD's. Not even shitting you.

      Delete
    2. Wait... what? You mean you and I actually like a common band? I think I just heard the ice crackle in hell... LOL!

      Delete
  3. Jason Mraz - Love is a Four Letter Word.

    Forever and ever and always. Amen.

    (Although, he's been my favorite for nearly ten years, so really anything by him is fabulous... but this is the newest album and I have yet to play ANYthing else since the album released.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The group sounds a lot like Of Monsters and Men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I'm listening to a lot of Rammstein because I'm angry or if I'm angry because I'm listening to a lot of Rammstein... Either way, something about a pissed off German dude growling in your ear is kinda hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I read this comment when I was at work and laughed VERY VERY loudly.

      Rammstein is one of those bands that I'm oddly drawn to. I have no fucking clue what the guy is saying but... it is hot. I totally agree.

      Delete
  6. We are proud to announce that our trailer is up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0nfyePADKY Please feel free to share, comment, and like us! Full feature available at www.TwilightDocumentary.com. Thank you in advance for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude! This is the shit! Just bought a couple of his albums. It will be perfect for the 192384193827 hour flight to Barcelona! I'm getting ready to be radio silent for a couple of weeks, so this will keep my occupied!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear that, with each listen, it gets better and better. His lyrics are very... straightforward (and admittedly, occasionally cheesy) but there is something so earnest about his music that makes it such a joy to listen to.

      HAVE FUN ON YOUR HONEYMOON!!!

      Delete
  8. Really Good Rec!!! Voices by Matt Skiba and the Sekrets is looping for me and Simple Song by the Shins. Rammstein!!??, used to play them at the end of the night when I use to host an Oktoberfest in my backyard. Nothing like a bunch of drunks trying to mosh. Of Monsters and Men is really cool, I think they sound like Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally dig Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Saw them play... somewhere and really liked them. Sadly, I never bought an album of theirs. I think I need to remedy that.

      Delete
  9. I'll have to listen when I'm not chillin at work...vids slow the shit out of my computer. Lately I'm loving the Of Monsters and Men pandora station and anything that is played.. Thanks to Amanda for introducing me.. yaaaaay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People are always surprised to find out I know who Rammstein is and have listened to them too. Can't figure out why ;)

    I doubt you are into country music but Josh Turner is wonderful. A gorgeous baritone with a smile that would melt you. His music is simple and very country (of course) but his lyrics are also very good.

    AWOLNATION is excellent. Eclectic almost there is one song by them that I would never guess is the same band as the rest of the album.

    Lee MacDougall - UK singer/songwriter - who I just saw in Philly is amazing (especially live)

    Marian Call - Alaskan singer/songwriter/nerd - who we will see at Comic Con but she is great too.

    Pretty sure some of this isn't your style but I am putting it out there anyway. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My current obsession is Babybird, excluding his "You're Gorgeous" phase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your music recs JJ. Now can you come over and teach me how to use iTunes? I am seriously a total fail at it. Love, me.

    P.S. I love Of Monsters and Men

    ReplyDelete

Comments are our life now. Leave one!