Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Walking Dead: Are You Prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse?

Not that this news is new because I am a self-proclaimed television junkie, but I am now obsessed with another show – a show I never in a million years thought I’d ever even give the time of day. The Walking Dead on AMC is that show. Based on a comic book, this show follows a group of survivors as they struggle to find a safe home following a zombie apocalypse.


At first glimpse, I figured this show might be too be too scary for me. I’m a bit of a fucking pansy when it comes to anything I think might give me nightmares. But with all the press and award nominations the first 6-episode season got, I hiked up my skirt and gave it a try. The first season is available to “watch instantly” on Netflix so I grabbed my iPad and settled in on the couch Sunday morning to test it out. My normal plan of attack with any show I think might scare me a little is to watch in broad daylight – that way the monsters will forget about me by the time I go to bed.

After the first episode, I was intrigued. After the second episode, I was hooked. The writing and visuals are astounding. The zombies, or “walkers” as they’re called in this show, are frighteningly gruesome. Despite my weak stomach for horror-style programming, I found myself not able to look away from my iPad (which, by the way, was a mere inches from my face!) This show is deliciously violent and awesomely grotesque. Not for those who wither at the sight of blood and guts.


I will admit that the final two episodes of this season slowed down quite a bit, but the final scenes of the finale had my heart pounding and I was chomping at the bit for more. And thankfully I won’t have to wait long. The second season premieres on Sunday, October 16th.

So this show got me to thinking about my own preparedness for the zombie apocalypse. Were we properly stocked with not only food and supplies, but guns and ammunition too? You see, the only way to kill a zombie is a bullet (or some other sharp object) to the brain. The CDC has a page specifically dedicated to preparation for such an event. They treat it a lot like any normal natural disaster. I disagree. Hurricanes and tornadoes and earthquakes do not eat your face off.

The CDC suggests the usual items: water, food, medications, tools and supplies, sanitation and hygiene, clothing and bedding, and first aid supplies. What they fail to mention, however, is the dire need for weapons. If you think you can defend your domain without some sort of firepower, you are sorely mistaken. I’ve already told my husband we need to start stocking up. And I need to start taking target practice. I’m not sure how I expect to pick off a zombie at 50 yards if I can’t even hit a grouse with birdshot.


Be prepared people. You never know when the zombies will strike. And they will eat the flesh of you and your loved ones. Here are a few tips (from the CDC) for action should the “walkers” invade your area:
  1. Pick a meeting place for your family to regroup in case zombies invade your home. Pick one place right outside your home for sudden emergencies and one place outside of your neighborhood in case you’re unable to return home right away.
  2. Identify emergency contacts – police, fire department, local zombie response team. Although be careful, you never know if the law has been infected.
  3. Plan your evacuation route. When zombies are hungry, they won’t stop until they get food (read: flesh), which means you need to get out of town fast! Plan an easily defendable spot ahead of time and map out multiple routes to it in case flesh eaters are blocking one of the roads.
Good luck and be safe.

26 comments:

  1. Love this show! Can't wait for the season premiere. Between Walking Dead and American Horror Story I am in creepy horror heaven! And I do feel a bit more prepared should an eventual zombie invasion occur. **shhh...don't make any sound**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot wait for it start! My daughters love zombies for some reason (I have no idea why) but they are consistently training for the zombie apocalypse. When we hike, they point at hillsides that would make good base camp sites. (Um, seriously they do). I blame my husband. He is team zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE The Walking Dead! Such an awesome series. For the last 2 years a coworker and I have been planning out what we would do in case of the Zombie Apocalypse. We have everything down from what we would do first and where to get weapons and where we would ultimately flee to. We are quite prepared. We've also been watching this show since the beginning and now have been tweaking our plans. Hahaha. Definitely good to be prepared :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking Dead Rocks!
    LKW..why aren't we hanging out together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must read : "The Zombie Survival Guide" By Max Brooks

    Top 10 Lessons for Surviving a Zombie Attack

    1. Organize before they rise!
    2. They feel no fear, why should you?
    3. Use your head: cut off theirs.
    4. Blades don't need reloading.
    5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.
    6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it.
    7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.
    8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!
    9. No place is safe, only safer.
    10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for season 2 of this show!! I loved the first season.

    I'm going to your house for the zombie apocalypse, LKW. I'll bring the wine and music. You supply everything else.

    Whenever I think of zombies I always think of the beginning of Zombieland. Don't forget to double-tap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like everybody else, I can't wait for season 2. Hell, I'm even going as a zombie for Halloween (medieval zombie to be exact... I'm sure that hasn't been done since Army of Darkness came out in theatres).

    Though to be fair, I've been planning for an impending zombie apocalypse for five years now. Some of the steps I've taken include buying a machete for hand-to-hand combat and practicing my shooting skills with my friends shotgun. Still need to buy my own though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The walking Dead and American Horror story are pretty sweet..I love zombies and freaky horror shows...bring it on *cah-clik* <~~ that's me loading mah gun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you just gave me something to do tomorrow instead of working! Gonna re-watch this kick ass show to get myself prepared for this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fucking love this show. JJ was riding my hot ass to watch it, so I did. And I am fucking HOOOOOOOKED. So hooked, I can't get The Bentist to watch it. This happens sometimes. One of us gets so into a show, *cough* book/movie series *cough*, or whatever, and the other person says "fuck that noise" and snubs up his or her nose.

    I think I can get him to do it though...Especially if it's on Netflix streaming....Then it's on. I just need him to watch all 6 episodes before Sunday so I don't have to watch it alone, fan-girling all the fuck over the place.

    PS, I flove that the CDC has a zombie page. God Bless America.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zombies: Not the right kind of monster. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm gonna have nightmares just looking at these pictures. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My zombie preparedness is limited to a full tank of gas to get myself, Mr. Snarky and the cat to Casa Latchkey. We make great cocktails, and promise not to eat much. Maybe we should establish a secret password now so you'll know it's us... I suggest "sparkle peen" (which I know is technically two words, but you'll KNOW it's me).

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Nifer -- I've heard of this book. Must read. Very clever.

    Anyone coming to my house for the zombie apocalypse must bring me presents. And by presents I mean weapons. Show up without a weapon, you may not be granted entrance. You can NEVER have too many weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love The Walking Dead! I also love The Killing and Breaking Bad on AMC.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @trinity - OMG BREAKING BAD!! That's my favorite show on TV! AMC kicks ass really...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Long time stalker, first time poster! I can't believe it is a post on zombies that gets me commenting. I fucking love this show, and am ridiculously excited about the second season. Though I spend most of the hour hiding because I am so terrified. They filmed all around Atlanta this summer, and it was like they were teasing us with all their gory awesomeness!
    Off topic, but I must say this in case I never have the balls to post again- this blog is amazing, I've read it every day for so long, including the comments, and you ladies kick ass. You always make my day brighter! Thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The zombie apocalypse (or a reasonable facsimile) will occur on October 31 of this year. My 10 year old daughter wants to be a "Zombie Angel". She thinks it's funny that it's two conflicting dead things (I have a feeling that her thought process about being some sort of oxymoron should scare me, but I feel strangely proud.)

    I posted on my FB page asking for costume ideas. At least 5 other mom's said their kids wanted to be some form of zombie as well. Zombie fairies, zombie porcelain dolls, zombie brides and plenty of just straight zombies. I have a feeling I'll have a LOT of zombie's at my door on Halloween. My weapon of choice is a Reses Peanut Butter Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I friggin' love this show. The panel at ComicCon was friggin' amazing. Be prepared for an amazing second season.

    ReplyDelete
  20. PASSS! The thought of watching dead decaying people walk around and eat the flesh off of others is something I'd rather never see. Not even if RPattz was in it. And even if JRath was in it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Jamie, even if Jackson were a zombie? He makes a hot vampire, surely he can make eating brains look good.

    LKW, I don't have any guns, just a helluva lot of ninja training, and I can bring booze. Lots. Can I hide at your place? I'm bringing a fat cat, sweet bebe, and my husband, whose main utilizable skill is Googling. The zombie apocalype will have wifi, right?

    ReplyDelete
  22. LKW's house is too far for me to travel if there is Zombie apocolypse. We have guns and a liquor cabinet and a Safeway two blocks away. This is my plan.

    Will there still be internet? My hope is I will be able to Skype with JJ, LKW, STY, and Myg in Maine.

    P.S. I enjoyed The Walking Dead but I am not yet sold on it being great. Some of the characters annoy the hell out of me....except for the hot police dude. Him I would like to nom on.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Off topic, I know, but I really did NOT like those GQ pics. I think she looks silly -- too made up, trying to look sexy. It just didn't work. (Did you see the BTS video? OMG, I just laughed it was so ridiculous.) On the other hand, I thought the Glamour pics were really VERY nice. She looked beautiful and natural, and -- because she wasn't trying so hard -- looked sexy.

    Florida Fan

    ReplyDelete
  24. I may be WAY too late posting here so that nobody sees my comment, but my area seems to be a hotbed for zombie activity (read: filming)!

    The Zombieland scene where Woody Herrelson beat the windows out of a van...yep, that's my cute little town.

    Last Sunday (and this coming Sunday), Walking Dead scenes to retrieve medical supplies to save the boy were filmed at my kids' high school. They're holed up in the library, but they should be good to get out. There are plenty of doors. lol

    Now, why oh why can't they film sparkly vampire scenes here. Humph. I guess the Vampire Diaries will do. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is definitely the best series that I ever seen since The Simpsons and The big bang theory. This series based in a comic brings many emotions, including adrenaline and suspense.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are our life now. Leave one!